Winners: Aleksandra Wozniak, Tennis
2009 - Feature Story
Aleksandra Wozniak’s 2009 campaign appeared over before it hardly began when a shoulder injury flared up early in the season. Missing a month to recover, the right-hander from Blainville, Quebec, found her form and never looked back. Wozniak advanced to the fourth round of the French Open before being eliminated by world number two-ranked Serena Williams of the United States. But two weeks later she handily dispatched newly-crowned French Open champion Svetlana Kuznetsova of Russia 6-0, 6-3 at the Wimbledon tune-up in Eastbourne, where Wozniak would advance to the semi-finals. That effort pushed her to a season and career-high number 21 on the world rankings. At the U.S. Open in late summer, Wozniak downed former world number one Amelie Mauresmo of France before bowing out in the third round to Italy’s Flavia Pennetta. She reached her third career WTA Tour final, as well, finishing runner-up at Ponte Vedra Beach.
- 2009 Bobbie Rosenfeld Award (Canada’s female athlete of the year)
- 2009 Ranked no. 21st (June 22) in the WTA Tour
- 2009 Advanced to the fourth round of the French Open
- 2008 WTA Singles title at the Bank of the West Classic at Stanford, California
- 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009 Tennis Canada Female Player of the Year